Pastors Rob and Debi Lee have served as lead pastors since 1999. Under their leadership Gardena Valley has grown to serve the community in a very relevant way. The church offers meaningful worship services, life-challenging Bible teaching, in-home Life Groups and programs for all ages. It's history goes back to 1905.

Our Beginning

Gardena Valley Assembly of God at its present location, 1473 W. 182nd Street in Gardena, has ties spanning back to the turn of the century and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit at the Azusa Street Revival. Out of this revival came a handful of believers, who formed, under the leadership of Arthur Osterberg, the Full Gospel Assembly of Los Angeles in 1905. This was the beginning of our church family, becoming the first organized Full Gospel Assembly of America. The Assemblies of God movement had its beginnings in the Azusa Street revival as well, but it was not organized as a fellowship until 1914 in Hot Springs, Arkansas, at which time we became a part of the Assemblies of God fellowship. Gardena Valley Assembly of God is currently the oldest established Assemblies of God Church in the nation.

Our Journey

The Full Gospel Assembly was initially built at the corner of 68th and Denver. In 1938, under the aggressive leadership of John Bunyan Lily, the church moved to the corner of 68th and Figueroa. Pastors until 1953 were Ted Osterberg, Rev. Hammock, Floyd Gressett and John Bunyan Lilly. In 1953, Rev. Warren L. Hill came as pastor of the Full Gospel Assembly. In 1958, the congregation merged with a small sister Assembly located at the corner of 110th and Western where a new facility was built and renamed the church Western Avenue Assembly.

Another important part of Gardena Valley Assembly’s heritage stems from Southside Assembly of Los Angeles founded by S.A. Merrill in 1945. Southside Assembly was started in a storefront located at 108th and Broadway. Upon outgrowing this building, they moved into new facilities located at Vermont and Laconia. Pastors until 1963 were Wesley Norguard, Floyd Westbrook, Roy Barnes, Charles Opie and Oscar Capers. in 1963, Rev. Elwyn Lewis came as pastor of Southside Assembly. They then moved from Vermont and Laconia to the present property here in Gardena in 1965. It was at this time that the name was changed to Bethesda Assembly. Another great milestone at this time was the establishment of Gardena Valley Christian School.

In February 1970, under the leadership of Pastors Hill and Lewis, the congregations of Western Avenue and Bethesda merged and changed the name to Gardena Valley Assembly of God. The purpose of this merger was to lend greater financial backing to the building of larger facilities for the Christian School. Gardena Valley Christian School has grown and flourished through the years. After 50 years of service, we have closed our elementary school. We are now hosting Pacific Lutheran Jr.& Sr. Hi. School on our campus. Feel free to call them (310)538-6863 for information about their school.

In 1971 Gardena Valley Christian Preschool was established and has flourished through the years.

Rev. Warren L. Hill was the pastor of this congregation from 1953 until January 1982, at which time he retired to the honored position of Pastor Emeritus. After his retirement we then had two more pastors, Duane Allen and Samuel Nelson. Pastor Nelson retired in 1999.

Our Future

It is a privilege to have a church with such a rich heritage and to continue the great work that so many other godly men have invested in before us. Gardena Valley continues today with relevant ministry to our community as you will see as you look around our website. Better yet, come visit us this Sunday.

 

 

1473 W 182nd Street
Gardena, California 90248

Tel:  310-329-6933
Email : info@gvag.net

 

1473 W 182nd Street
Gardena, California 90248

Tel:  310-329-6933
Email : info@gvag.net

© 2017 Gardena Valley Assembly. All Rights Reserved.